602-666-6480

Waste To Energy ~ Gasification

 Biomass gasification and sludge gasification are energy efficient processes, creating a breakdown and re-structuring at the molecular level. This changes material into carbon monoxide, hydrogen and carbon dioxide, forming a syngas, similar to natural gas. Gasification converts organic and fossil fuel carbon materials, also known as feedstock.  By using heat generated at temperatures greater than 700 °C / 1300°F, this creates a thermochemical conversion of waste into high heat that takes place in a low oxygen environment.   

Biomass And Sludge

Gasification

In waste to energy gasification of sewage sludge, we dewater and then dry the sludge using a low temperature heat pump drying process, once dried, the small pellets are gasified. The power derived from gasification and combustion of the syngas produced from biomass, is considered to be a renewable energy source.  The heat generated by combusting syngas in a natural gas generator is used in the dehumidification heat pump unit to dry wet sewage sludge.  Of the electricity generated, 20% is used to operate the dehumidification heat pump unit, while the other 80% electricity is available for electrical usage offset.  Biomass gasification and sludge gasification are viable renewable energy options, helping to move our society into a lower carbon economy.

Syngas Production From Biomass

Waste to energy gasification is a superior energy source with significant advantages over incineration and traditional combustion processes, by using a low oxygen environment that limits the formation of toxic chemicals and dioxins.   As the biomass and sludge gasification process creates a clean syngas that can be used like natural gas, the higher temperature and pressure of the exhaust gases make it easier to remove sulfur and nitrous oxides.  Gasification technology can be coupled with turbine technology to produce electricity while the syngas can be processed into liquid fuels.

Syngas production from biomass is a different process than incineration which uses a furnace with high temperatures and oxygen, to decompose or destruct the waste into a non-burnable ash form that is taken to and disposed of in landfills.  Unable to clean emissions during the burning process, incineration plants attempt to clean their emissions after combustion, making it harder to capture and isolate hazardous emissions.  Without effective emission controls, harmful pollutants can be emitted into the air, land and water that can negatively impact human health and our environment.

 

Sludge Quips

"Up sludge creek without a paddle"
2018-11-15T03:22:09+00:00
"Up sludge creek without a paddle"
"Sludge"  We can dry that!
2018-11-15T03:24:26+00:00
"Sludge"  We can dry that!
 “Shirley, it must be sludge!”
2018-11-15T03:25:43+00:00
 “Shirley, it must be sludge!”
 "Sludge in a Bag"
2017-02-10T20:35:13+00:00
 "Sludge in a Bag"
“In and out … Sludge”
2018-11-15T03:26:32+00:00
“In and out … Sludge”

Biomass Gasification

Reduces Landfill Volume,

Fees, & Handling Costs

 

Syngas produced from biomass provides us an opportunity to divert waste from landfills and use it to provide clean energy production, reducing landfill fees and handling costs, while keeping our landfills from growing.  Savings are significant.